Pepperoni Slices To Go
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1-2 teaspoons pepper
3/4 cup water
4 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons tamarind sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
– Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
– In a large mixing bowl, add the wheat gluten, yeast, garlic salt, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
– In a smaller bowl, mix the water, tomato paste, tamarind sauce, oil, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Add this to the dry ingredients in the large bowl. Use a fork to mix and mash the ingredients. Knead the mixture with your hands for 2 minutes.
– On a flat surface, roll the mixture to form a sausage about 6 inches long. Place the sausage in the middle of a lightly oiled piece of tinfoil that is about 10 inches long. Wrap the foil tightly around the sausage and twist the ends to close.
– Bake the sausage for about 1 1/2 hours. When the sausage is done, remove the foil and allow the sausage to cool completely. Cut the sausage into thin, uniform, slices. Eat them as a snack. Use on sandwiches or pizzas. Add them to salads or Italian dishes.