Spring Peas & Carrots With Creamy Vegan Pasta Primavera
1 cup raw cashews
2 cups Dairy-free Unsweetened Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk, plus additional as needed
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
6 peeled and sliced carrots, 1/4 inch thick rounds
1 1/3 cup fresh peas
8 ounces pasta
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
Fresh chopped herbs (basil, tarragon, dill, oregano, etc. optional)
– Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
– Meanwhile, steam the carrots for 3 minutes.
– Add the peas and steam until both are tender, about 4 to 6 minutes more.
– Grind the cashews in a spice grinder or food processor while the vegetables are cooking. It will turn into a powder and may be begin to clump into a paste.
– Puree the cashew meal in your blender with the almond milk, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and onion powder until smooth.
– In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat.
– Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
– Carefully add the cashew-almond cream into the pan, using a fine mesh sieve, if desired, to remove any little nut bits remaining.
– Bring to a low bubble.
– Constantly whisk for 1 to 2 minutes or until it thickens to your desired consistency. If it thickens too much, add splashes of almond milk to thin it out some.
– Season to taste with additional salt, and lemon juice, if desired.
– Add the cooked pasta and vegetables, stirring well to distribute the ingredients.
– Just prior to serving, stir in chopped fresh herbs or top with herbs, if desired.