Blueberry Coffee Cake
One of the most wonderful summer fruits is blueberries. Not only can they be stored in many different ways, they make a wonderful addition to many recipes. One of our favorite blueberry recipes is blueberry coffee cake, which can add a delightful taste of summer to even the coldest winter.
½ cup of salted butter, softened
1 cup of sugar
3 eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon of vanilla
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of sour cream
(Option: use 1 cup of vanilla yogurt instead of sour cream)
2 cups of fresh blueberries
(Option: if using frozen berries, be sure to thaw before adding to mixture)
1 cup of brown sugar
¼ cup of salted butter, softened
½ cup of all-purpose flour
– In a large bowl, add ½ cup of butter and one cup of sugar.
– Cream together butter and sugar until crumbly.
– Add the 3 slightly beaten eggs and mix well.
– Add the vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and blend until smooth.
– Mix in half of the flour and half of the sour cream. When blended, add the remaining flour and sour cream and blend again.
– Using a spatula or a large spoon, stir in the fresh blueberries. Mix well. The mixture will turn blue or lavender.
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish and pour in the blueberry mixture. Set mixture aside while you make the topping.
– In a small bowl, cream together the brown sugar and softened butter. Using a spoon, add the flour a little at a time until the topping is crumbly.
– Scatter brown sugar crumbs on top of the blueberry mixture.
– Lightly tap the pan on the counter to make sure the batter is distributed evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
– Serve warm straight from the oven with hot coffee or cold milk, or if you want to use it as a dessert, cool and serve with fresh cream, ice cream, canned peaches or whipped topping.